Table of contents:village museum
"Woutenbach" or "Wuttenbach" (the furious brook) former was the name of Guetenbach. Justly because the former inhabitants took the naming of the "wild brook" running first through the whole village and finally together with many other brooks falled down to valley furiously 600 years ago.
The brook as well as the secondary brooks raged through their channels during the time of the glacier melting. That shows the stones older than thousands of years which covered long ways drifted by the pressure of the water. On this occasion the stones have been polished. Some time the big and small brooks became quiet - became "good" out of which the "good brook" or "Guetenbach" finally arose. You only can expect it and make philosophic thoughts.
At the end of the village a lot of water fell into a gorge which is called in former words "Deichschlucht". In the 50ties it then has been renamed "Teichschlucht". Both names still are riddles and give rise to discussions. Neither the word "dike", meaning in the real sense a mound against water, nor the word "pond", in the real sense a pond or duck pond make sense for the todays naming. Today the gorge is named "Teichschlucht" - this won't change in future.
This gorge now is object of a consideration. The gorge is registered in several maps but none takes nearby it seriously. But this also has its positive side. The gorge isn't marked like similar waterfalls. It would be too hard for the convenient driver or bus driver to make a marsh through this one gorge. Only those who look for the Teichschlucht deliberately have the one event to not only to be astonished at the water crashing down into the valley more or less swirling and foaming plunging into the valley corresponding to season but also an indescribable untouched nature to be seen.
The untamed torrents have polished weighty stones in millions of years as well as in the above mentioned smaller brooks. The courageous person who inspects the gorge after long downpower or at melting of the snow not only hears the enormous rush of the brook but also a thunder or a powerful murmur in the underground when heavy stones are pushed from their places by centimeters or meters by the power of nature.
The gorge is a typical "erosion valley". By sinking of the Rhine plain the so-called "V-breaking-in" resulted from and left huge stone and rubble slopes. Hardly somewhere in the Black Forest you better see the result of this power as in the "Teichschlucht" nearly Guetenbach. These huge rubble slopes were barren and dreary. The vegetation judging by the trees, began 150 years ago and it's rarely explicable how seen-plants of spruces firs and beeches were able to find a hold for growing on between huge stones. The whole gorge therefore was called "Bannwald". Millions of old stones are covered with moss. Steep rocket slopes were used for training by climbers, granite and "gneiss" build huge rocket pieces and are marvellous objects for geologists.
In the bad times of unemployment during the 20ies the head of the Black Forest group of Guetenbach Erwin Schwer had the idea to open up the "Teichschlucht" respectively to fix a wander way along the course of the brook. For having had this idea a monument should have been erected for him still today because this work can't be appreciated enough considering the stony ground. But the respect mainly belongs to the brave men who have ended this act only by the help of pimple and shovel. One kept distance from the wild water and the source of the "wild Gutach". Nevertheless the flooded pond brook seized a piece of the wander way in 1993.
The torrent of the "Teichschlucht" ends in the valley "Wildgutach". It's surely rational to eat an pirishing snack in the sole inn of this quiet borough "Loewen", because of having a good condition when climbing that gorge uphill. Only wandering uphill the inspecting of the "Teichschlucht" is a real event. The difference in altitude is approx 400 meters with a wandering time of three quarter of an hour. Only by having a kind of inner devotion you can enjoy this event of the pure piece of nature. After that the valley is opening itself. You are invited to stay at Guetenbach, surrounded by slopes and forests.
The body has been entwined with legends until the years after the second World War. The "true story" concerning the origin of the Christ figure could have been opposed to the legend by a late verbal delivery of a man called "Pius Kern" (born 1859 - died 1940) from "Wildgutach" passed on to "Oskar Fahrlaender" in 1993.
In the year 1844 the "Koenigenhof" was totally destroyed by an avalanche and, with that, the cross of the farm, too. Arms and legs have been separated from the body. Young chaps carried the body through the forest to the today's place. Some time the body now laid near the still young beech. Around the turn of the century two journeymen from Guetenbach fixed the body lying on the ground at the young beech. The growing tree now embraced the body year by year until finally the head was to be seen only. Sculptor Josef Rombach had to lay open it already twice to give back the culture monument the correct honour.
Some information on the Balzer Herrgott